Always Tell The Truth

This is my Day 16 Health Activist Writers Month Challenge. > Tell us 3 things that are true about you, your condition, or your health activism. Tell us 1 lie. Will we be able to tell the difference?

“If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything.” Mark Twain

I’ve known a few people in my recent years that find it easy to lie when asking for favors. An example –  ‘friend’ that asks me to care for her cats and her mother for some reason – I honestly don’t care about the actual reason – I would do it regardless. Still she shares some story that she believes will make me more empathetic – yet the truth comes out and then I feel used.

Why people believe they have to make up an excuse to ask for help is beyond me. It’s insulting really – trust me to be kind and supportive without a made up back story. Give me that courtesy if you ask for my help. Does one think I’d be less inclined to help if I knew you just wanted a weekend get away? How often does a person have to be ignored or accused of being selfish before they start making up stories to get help?

Another example – a ‘friend’ shares her extreme financial difficulties but then goes on a shopping spree and shows me all her ‘deals’ – the receipt is on the counter I can see what she spent which is 4 times what she tells me she spent. Does she think I will judge her for therapeutic shopping – yes its stupid when you are behind on your mortgage – but I would understand. I was once a therapeutic shopper. Why lie to me? I’m not the credit company and she doesn’t owe me money.

Anyway – the above is totally off topic but was bothering me. I don’t like being lied to. I feel better having vented.

As far as my truths and a lie about me:

• It doesn’t bother me that I will soon be entering the last year of my 30’s
  • I have a difficult time asking anyone for help
  • I would rather speak in front of a thousand strangers than get on an airplane
  • I am scared to leave my kids with anyone overnight

Truths and a lie about diabetes:

• Everyone is at risk of developing some form of diabetes in their lifetime
  • Type 1 diabetes can be prevented by breast-feeding ones children and by avoiding vaccinations
  • People with diabetes can not join the US military or pilot a commercial airline in the US
  • Type 1 diabetes in children is increasing by 3% each year

I will choose one random reader that answers both questions correctly to receive their very own Stick With It Sugar mug. Not the one pictured – that one has my Sumatra in it – you will get an unused one.

mugphotoGive-Away will end Saturday April 20th at noon CA time. I will not respond to any comments before then. Good luck.

About Christina

Mom of 3 kids, all 3 have Type 1 diabetes - I blog to share stories. I am not a medical professional and my thoughts are my own. Please do not make changes to your medical care plan based on my stories - always consult your medical team. Hope you find something in my ramblings helpful and or amusing. You can find me on twitter @momof3T1s and on my Facebook page Stick With It Sugar. May all your dreams forever be bolus worthy.
Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Always Tell The Truth

1. Brian says:

Lies:
    It doesn’t bother me that I will soon be entering the last year of my 30′s

I never lie, I stretch the truth or omit it.

• Christina says:

What gave me away about being bothered by my age? You are correct on both – sugarboy pulled a different name from the hat so you will have to wait for another opportunity for a SWIS mug. Im sure there is one in your future. 😉

2. Suzanne says:

I have a difficult time asking anyone for help

Suzanne

• Christina says:

Hi Suzanne – thanks for playing. I do have an extremely difficult time asking anyone for help. Its a combination of not wanting to bother others and my need to control every situation. It will likely be the end of me one day. The lie about me was that I am not bothered that I will be 39 this Friday. I am actually sick about it. I don’t want to leave my 30’s – I feel like I should have accomplished so much more in my life by now. Of course you got the diabetes question correct.

3. Katie says:

I’m going with airplane and breast feeding are false.

4. Jenn says:

Ok.. I’m game. Here is my guess on your lies:

“You would rather speak in front of a thousand strangers than get on a plane.” = Maybe that’s just me, but even though planes give me headaches.. bad ones.. I can take something for them. No pill will make the 1000 strangers disappear.

“Type 1 diabetes can be prevented by breast-feading ones children and by avoiding vaccinations” = Um.. really? I had to go back a couple times to make sure I read that one right.

5. Chris Dean says:

OK, I’m going with #1 about you and #2 about D. *grin*

• Christina says:

You are correct Chris – however I didn’t put your name in the hat because I’ve had a mug packed up for you for a couple months. Meant to send it a long time ago – I suck at mail. There is something else in the box for you though that I know you will enjoy – its a very late bday present.

6. Stacy says:

Based on looking at your past blogs Im going to say that number 1 is the lie about you. And I know that number 2 is the lie about diabetes, there isnt anything you can do to prevent type 1

7. Debbie says:

Answer to question #1 is a.
    Answer to question #2 is b.

8. Meri says:

The airplane, and the breastfeeding. BAM!

9. MaryO says:

I think the lies are that you are bothered by your next birthday and that breast feeding and avoiding vaccines prevents diabetes.